Dry hair does not absorb or retain enough moisture to keep its texture and brightness, so it may look lacklustre and be fragile and brittle. Although it may look unhealthy, most of the time, it is unlikely to be a health problem that causes dry hair.
Dry hair can be caused by factors, including:
- nutritional deficiencies
- excessive sun exposure
- contact with chlorinated water
- excessive hair wash
- use of styling products and tools
- use of harsh hair products
Some possible medical causes of dry hair may be anorexia nervosa, Menkes disease, hypoparathyroidism, hypothyroidism, and other hormone abnormalities.
Home Remedies for Dry Hair
People can use home remedies to treat hair if it becomes dry and brittle. Listed below are 12 different home remedies that can be tried:
1. Using Hot Oils
Olive oil is one of the most popular home remedies for dry hair. Besides olive oil, the following can also be used with good results:
- coconut oil
- almond oil
- castor oil
- jojoba oil
- corn oil
All of these oils are rich in vitamin E and antioxidants and help to seal the outer hair layer or cuticle with moisture, thus repairing the damage.
To prepare this home remedy:
- Warm but do not boil around half a cup of oil.
- Gently massage it into the hair for some minutes.
- Cover the hair with a warm towel.
- Leave for 30−45 minutes or overnight.
- After this time, shampoo and rinse the hair.
This treatment will strengthen and add shine to dry hair.
2. Using Good Hair Care Products Specific to Your Hair Type
A person may want to try using gentle, sulfate-free shampoos and hair conditioners.
Also, they can shampoo less frequently, for example, only once or twice a week.
3. Using Beer as a Hair Conditioner
Beer contains a protein that helps to repair the hair cuticles, making the hair smooth and shiny.
If someone shampoos their hair as usual and then sprays on some drops of beer, allowing it to dry naturally, it will work as a good conditioner without leaving any smell on the hair.
4. Applying a Coconut Oil Mask
Coconut oil has a soothing and moisturizing effect when applied to the hair.
People can prepare a simple hair mask by boiling curry leaves with coconut oil for 2–3 minutes and leaving it to rest in a cool place for a few days.
When the mixture has cooled, it can be gently rubbed into the hair and scalp with the fingertips and covered with a warm towel. It should then be left on for a few minutes before being rinsed.
5. Applying a Gelatin Preparation
Plain gelatin is a good protein source for the hair. It coats the hair strands and moisturizes them, making the hair smooth and shiny.
To prepare this home remedy:
- Mix 1 tablespoon of gelatin with 1 cup of warm water.
- Leave it aside for 5 minutes to partially set the gelatin.
- Add 1 teaspoon of apple cider vinegar and 6 drops of an essential oil, such as jasmine, lavender, clary sage, or rosemary to the preparation and stir.
- Apply the mixture to clean hair.
Finally, leave the preparation on the hair for 10 minutes and rinse with tepid water.